Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Poltergeist

A family suburban home is haunted by evil forces must come together to rescue their daughter after the apparitions take her captive.  


This film is a remake of the original Poltergeist which was directed by Tobe Hooper - but between you and me Steven Spielberg most likely directed it. This new film might be the scariest thing 13 and unders have yet seen, just as the original was, for our parents back in 1982. Who might as well find it an enjoyable trip down memory lane. I believe the reason to remake a movie is whether the idea was really cool and the movie may not be that good. This is the opportunity for a horror movie to eliminate the horror clich√© of previous decade, such as this little girl who for I don't know what reason is not afraid of ghosts and demons. Because when you are 4 years old and your closet is filled with demons talking to you, you don't stay there waving at them. Ghosts and demons are not cool at all. I would be done and running to my parents peeing my pants if something similar happened to me; and I think that's how it should be. 


Sam Rockwell provides welcomed bits of comic relief and pairs nicely with Rosemarie DeWitt as the parents. The children are especially well cast as well as Jared Harris. Yes, they've been given trendier names (Dana, Carol Anne and Robbie in 1982) because this is clearly 2015 Poltergeist after all: pivotal TV becomes a big ol'flat screen, iphone, GPS devices and a drone camera come into play. Characters are all functional. Moreover, the best part of this movie definitely is Sam Rockwell. I've started to appreciate this guy very recently as before I couldn't pin-point exactly why I didn't like him; but he really is a fantastic actor. I believe Poltergeist was an original and unique thing when it came out in 1982 but now every horror movie pulled something out of it and all those bits and pieces have been seen many many many times. 


Finally, there's not much to complain about here. Except that, as with a lot of revisited classics, the story is definitely not as revolutionary as you remember it. For veterans it will be more like scary but pleasant nostalgia. Plus, at a certain point in the film I accepted the fact that it doesn't recapture the fright of the original. It over relies on cgi, there's so much of it and it's not that good. It doesn't look real which doesn't make it scary. Realism. This is what made Insidious and The Conjuring so frightening to me. The movie was entertaining but nothing really creeped me out. Even the clowns scene didn't scare me - and god knows that I hate clowns - because I saw the jump scares of it in the trailer. The end is really abrupt. I was disappointed because I obviously watched the original and most of the clever sequences and effective scares are all basically from a movie that already exists and is directed better so what is the purpose of this movie? Most likely the answer is: TO MAKE MONEY. Do we really needed this remake? 


Overall, do yourself a favour and check the original first. All I can give you is the best reason ever: Steven-freaking-Spielberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment