Saturday, 11 October 2014

Gone Girl (50th Review)

With his wife's disappearance having become the focus of an intense media circus, a  man sees the spotlight turned on him when it's suspected that he may not be innocent.



Gone Girl is directed by David Fincher, adapted by Gillian Flynn from her 2012 novel of the same name. It stars Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris and Tyler Perry. I was really excited about this film as David Fincher is on of my favorites director and he's a perfectionist so I knew deep down that it'll be a good one. I was even more excited when I discovered that he hired Ben Affleck to play the husband. This role is perfect for him and he's fantastic in this movie. Rosamund Pike is also excellent; this is probably the best work I've seen from her. I loved it. First I have to say that I read the book before... But for those who did not read the book before, you barely know anything going to this movie. The trailer didn't reveal a lot of things and details, which you don't need to know until you are sitting in the theater experiencing the movie for yourselves. There are so many hidden facts to the story and that I won't spoil to you as so you'll be able to experience them without knowing. I'm glad to see that Fincher cherishes this kind of movie experiences as well. As the film progresses I was continuously surprised, it got darker and darker and meaner. My mouth was dropped. It's really intriguing and you don't know who to root for. You are the detective, watching everything the husband does. Plus, this movie legitimately make you think about the way we perceive the media, the news and factual events. How you just see what the media is showing you. You don't know all the facts. Also how the news and media affect the situation of this man; as a viewer I evolved behind the scenes of how a person's life can crumbled to the ground simply based on a few lies. Technically Fincher is a visionary director and that's what I love about his work. His frames are PERFECT. Secondly I liked the fact that twits and turns of the movie don't came out as showy as I'm use to; just as  "wow..." thanks to this really good screenplay. The cast was really good. Beside Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike who are fantastic, I wasn't sure of Tyler Perry and Neil Patrick Harris... So let me tell you that they are great as well! Finally, for being as long as it is the story keeps you certainly interested till the end with an heavy content. You want to get to the end to find out what really happened? What will happen now? And then? What's next for them? This movie is REAL, every situation is realistic. This is obviously one of the best movie of the year. It's a dark story, even a bit rude but I can see the truth in a lot of things that are portrayed. What is so shocking is that things like this are really happening in nowadays society. 


Overall Gone Girl has some flawless features, a dramatically powerful core, it's wonderfully acted and it's damn sad when you start thinking about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment